Types of Drug-Related Crimes
The list of specific “drug” offenses for which good people are arrested in the Coachella Valley is rather long.
The severity of the various charges and the associated penalties differ greatly. Here is just a partial list of typical drug-related cases we see in the Coachella Valley:
- Simple possession of an illegal drug
- Possession of paraphernalia associated with drug use
- Possession that includes transportation of a controlled substance with intent to sell or distribute
- Simple transportation of a controlled substance
- Manufacturing drugs such as crack, meth (speed), heroin, hash oil, ecstasy, LSD, PCP, etc.
- Cultivating marijuana
- Actual sales of illegal drugs or selling a “substance” purported to be
- Selling or otherwise furnishing illegal drugs to minors
- Drug trafficking/importation
- Money laundering
- Unauthorized use of legal prescription drugs such as Xanax Oxycontin, Vicodin, etc.
- Unauthorized possession or sale of legal prescription drugs
Penalties for Drug-Related Crimes
The penalties can be very different depending on the type of substances involved. Also to be considered is the amount of the substances seized and whether the substances were only for personal use as opposed to being for distribution or sales.
Conviction can result in any of the following consequences:
- Prison/jail sentences ranging from a few days to dozens of years
- Parole/probation once released from prison or jail
- Very hefty fines that can reach tens of thousands of dollars
- Having to reimburse law enforcement for the investigation expense associated with convicting you
- Driver license revocation
- Mandatory drug treatment programs
- Being added to the drug offender registry
- Loss of personal property, such as cash, vehicles, or real estate
Certain drug crimes may be charged as either misdemeanors or felonies depending on things like the type of drug, quantity, previous criminal history, and whether the substance was intended for sale or personal use. You must know that it is even illegal to give it away.
You Need an Experienced Drug-Crime Defense Attorney
California leads the nation in drug prosecutions. It is common in California for prosecutors to charge defendants with possession intending to sell even when the possession was limited to personal use.
Law enforcement officials frequently use unfair and sometimes illegal tactics throughout the arrest, interrogation, and jailing process. It is also common to have your rights violated in open court when you attempt to defend yourself without a capable attorney at your side who can rapidly identify and jump on all such violations.
We have built a track record of successfully having drug charges reduced and even dismissed. We understand the law, and we know how to fight hard to obtain the best results available.
With You Every Step of the Way
With us by your side, we will work together on achieving the best possible outcome. You can trust that I will always give you an honest – sometimes brutally honest – assessment of your case, discuss all of your available options, and explain the specific legal process that applies to your case. If necessary, we will fight tirelessly for you at trial.
Rest assured, you are not alone. We will be at your side the entire time.
Free Initial Consultation
Let us help you fight a drug offense charge in the Coachella Valley. Call me today at 760-610-6109.
I accept all major credit cards. I am available for weekend/evening consultations. I represent clients throughout the Coachella valley and all the surrounding Southern California communities.